Hee Min Lee’s family is appealing the Maryland judge’s decision. Abolish the death penalty. Adnan Syed, who was accused of killing the teenager, served more than 20 years in prison before being released last week, according to a court document filed Wednesday.
A one-paragraph notice of appeal was filed by attorney Steven Kelly on behalf of the victim’s brother, Young Lee.
“Young Lee has filed an appeal on the September 19, 2022 hearing on Adnan Syed’s motion to vacate his sentence based on the violation of his family’s right to participate meaningfully,” Kelly told CNN in an emailed statement. Notice filed.” “The notice of appeal is the first step in seeking review by the Maryland Court of Special Appeals for possible violations of Maryland’s victims’ rights laws in connection with the hearing.”
Lee filed a motion on the day of the hearing, stating that he did not have sufficient notice to exercise his right to appear for the proceeding. While Associate Judge Melissa Fein denied his motion, she ordered a 30-minute recess to allow Lee to leave work and make a Zoom call to watch the hearing.
“This is not a podcast for me, this is real life,” Lee said during the hearing last week.
In his impact statement, he said he felt “betrayed” by the state. “I always thought the state was on my side,” Lee said.
“Every time I think it’s over, it’s over, it always comes back,” Lee said through tears.
CNN has reached out to the Baltimore State’s Attorney’s Office for comment on the notice of appeal.
Syed was serving a life sentence in prison when his murder conviction was vacated earlier this month. He was convicted in February 2000 of first-degree murder, robbery, kidnapping and false imprisonment in the murder of Min Lee, his ex-girlfriend.
The case gained public scrutiny after being investigated on a hit podcast. “Serial,” Which raised questions about the sentence and Syed’s legal representation.
Syed’s conviction was vacated after a judge ruled that some material related to the case was not properly given to defense attorneys. The judge also said that there are two suspects who have been wrongly cleared as part of the investigation.
“We are not declaring Adnan Syed innocent yet,” Baltimore City State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby said after the judge’s decision to throw out the conviction. “But we are declaring that in the interest of justice and fairness he is entitled to a new trial.”
Syed is currently ordered to wear a tracking ankle monitor, according to Becky Feldman, chief of the Sentencing Review Unit of the Baltimore City State’s Attorney’s Office.
Prosecutors are now considering whether to pursue a new trial as they await DNA analysis to determine whether Syed’s case can be dismissed.