Barcelona women Made history by becoming the first football team to win 50 consecutive league games.
They completed the unprecedented feat with a 7-0 thrashing of Levante Las Planas at the Estadi Johan Cruyff on Wednesday – the team have yet to lose at their home stadium since the opening in 2019.
Nigeria international Oshwala scored a hat-trick, Anna Maria Kernogorsevic scored two while Vicky Lopez and Mariona Caldenti each scored a second-half goal as Barcelona wrapped up an emphatic victory.
The Catalan club’s dominance stretches back to June 2021 when they lost 4-3 to Atlético Madrid.
Since then, the team has scored 247 goals – an average of just under five per game – and conceded just 19 goals.
Under head coach Jonathan Giraldez, Barcelona won every league match last season and are currently unbeaten in their most recent campaign – four points clear at the table after two fewer games.
Despite their impressive league form, Barcelona have lost this season in the Women’s Champions League.
They were comfortably beaten 3-1 by German side Bayern Munich in the group stage in December but that defeat did not affect their league form in the new year.
The team’s free-flowing football and array of talent have drawn record crowds.
In March 2022, history was made as 91,553 fans packed Camp Nou – Europe’s largest football stadium – to watch the UEFA Women’s Champions League quarter-final second leg between Barcelona and Real Madrid.
The attendance was the highest ever to watch a women’s football match, and Barcelona certainly made the most of the home support with a 5-2 win over their Madrid rivals.
Barcelona are currently in a dispute with the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) over fielding an apparently ineligible player in this season’s Copa de la Reina.
According to , he faces elimination from the tournament. Reportsbut says he will appeal the decision.
“FC Barcelona has announced that the club will continue to fight for the rights of a women’s team after they were approved by the competition committee to field an ineligible line-up,” the club said in a statement. in which an appeal will be filed in due course.” Statement.
“If the ban should not be overturned on appeal, FC Barcelona will take all possible measures, as it is understood that the lineup has been disqualified for technical reasons in this case.”