November 30, 2022

‘What happened to the Tangshan women?’: Chinese demand answers on brutal restaurant attack

4 min read


The women were brutally beaten by nine men in the northern city of Tangshan when one of them objected to being sexually harassed.

The attack – captured on surveillance cameras – has sent shock waves across China, angering women who have long suffered harassment and gender-based violence. ۔

But the silence from the victims and their families has upset many who fear the worst for women, highlighting the lack of public confidence in a governing system that is normal. Corresponds to hide unwanted news – a trend that only one fleet has activated. Strict restrictions under the country’s zero quad policy.

Many people expressed fear for women after seeing the horrific surveillance footage. The men dragged a woman out of her hair, hit her with bottles and chairs, and repeatedly hit her on the head. A woman who tried to help him was pushed away, descending the stairs to the back of his head.

Hours after the attack, a photograph showed one of the victims lying on a hospital bed. Covered in blood, bandaged on his head. The next day, Tangshan police said two women were hospitalized with “non-life-threatening injuries” and were in “stable condition” – but there has been no update on their condition since. Has happened

Over the past week, rumors have been circulating that the condition of some of the victims is worse than authorities claim. Continuing to spread online despite repeated denials by Police, hospital officials and the local branch of the All China Women’s Federation, a group of state-backed women.

Some have accused surveillance video of being part of the attack, and the violence in a nearby street away from the camera – a claim CNN cannot independently verify. Another video circulating online shows residents laying bouquets of flowers in the street.

Speculation escalated on Thursday when more videos – whose authenticity could not be verified – surfaced online.

Hashtags on China’s Twitter-like platform Weibo “Tshangan followed the girls.“It simply came to our notice then. More than 200 million times As of Friday, more than 220,000 comments had been generated – many seeking to know what happened to the women.

In a statement Friday, Weibo said it had closed 320 accounts for “spreading rumors” about the Tangshan attack. A widely circulated article on the messaging app WeChat was also censored, citing rumors.

'It could happen to any of us': Graphic video of men throwing stones at a woman's head shook China

Constant speculation was fueled by a black hole in the information surrounding the victims. None of them – or their friends and family – have spoken since the attack, and no official details have been released about their injuries. State media reports have largely focused on swift police action in arresting suspects, and announced a two-week “thunderstorm” campaign to crack down on organized crime by Tangshan authorities. Has gone

A few media outlets, such as China News Weekly and Kixon, known for their rigorous reporting, quoted hospital officials as saying that the death of any of the women had been denied, but failed to convince the public. Here it is.

“You authorities are denying the rumors every day. Where is your evidence?” A Weibo user asked.

“Why are rumors flying everywhere? Because we don’t find a single sentence of truth anywhere,” said another.

The local police station told CNN the case was still under investigation and declined to share any additional information. The hospital where the women were treated did not respond to a request for comment from CNN. The local branch of the All China Women’s Federation hung up.

Journalists from state-run media have even been barred from reporting by local authorities, who have tightened travel restrictions in Tangshan since the attack.

Anyone arriving in the city by train is required to provide a detailed address of where they are staying and to sign a note promising not to go out. Passengers who plan to stay in hotels need to register 48 hours in advance. People who are allowed to leave the train station are sent to their homes in buses arranged by the government, according to the official Jinan Times. Reported.

A reporter for the government-run Guizhou Radio and Television Station said in a video on Weibo that when he arrived at the Tangshan train station on June 11, a day after the attack, he was not allowed to leave the station because he had “reported Not already. To the local resident community already. ” This was despite being tested negative for the Corona virus the same day, despite being in possession of the “Green Health Code” on its Quaid app, and traveling to a city where no recent cases of the virus have been reported. Had happened

“Is this really a normal epidemic prevention measure, or (are the authorities) trying to use Kwid as an excuse to prevent journalists from entering Tangshan?” He asked me Since deleted video.
This will not be the first time that local authorities in China have used Kwid sanctions for political control. Authorities in Zhengzhou, Hainan Province, have made the allegations. Tampering with the digital health code system to thwart a planned protest.

“Tangshan and Hainan really have the scariest comparison: for eight days, you don’t know anything about the Tangshan girls, but (Henan officials) know all your data in a second – where you are, what you did. What is a train ticket book, and what do you want to do, “Li Cheng Peng, a leading author and social critic, wrote on social media on Saturday.

“What you know is (the authorities) allow you to know, what you don’t know will never be known.”

Like many other posts criticizing the government’s lack of transparency in dealing with the incident, Lee’s article has been censored.

CNN’s Shan Deng contributed to the reporting.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *