December 5, 2022

Ukraine joins Spain and Portugal’s bid to host 2030 World Cup

2 min read





CNN

Ukraine It has joined Spain and Portugal’s bid to host the 2030 Games. The World Cupthe Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) and the Portuguese Football Federation (FPF) said on Wednesday.

“Our dialect is no longer an Iberian dialect, it’s a European dialect,” RFEF president Luis Rubiales said during a press conference at the headquarters of European football’s governing body UEFA in Nyon, Switzerland.

“I believe our bid is now much better than before. Football is universal, and if it has the potential to change people’s lives in so many ways, it should be used for good causes as well.” Robles continued.

Spain, Portugal and Ukraine’s bid for the 2030 marquee football tournament is backed by UEFA and will compete with other participating bids including Egypt, Greece and Saudi Arabia, as well as South American bids from Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay and Chile. .

The Qatar 2022 World Cup will take place from November 20 to December 18, while the United States, Canada and Mexico will host the 2026 edition of soccer’s flagship event.

With the tournament coming up next month, controversy continues to bubble around the competition. this week, Paris said it would not regulate fan zones. For the FIFA World Cup in Qatar, Strasbourg joined Lille, Rodez, Bordeaux, Nancy and Reims in pledging not to organize public spectacles, citing social and environmental issues.

“[Our reasons are] First of all because of the environmental and social conditions regarding the event and this is not the model we want to promote for major events in Paris,” Paris Deputy Mayor of Sports Paris Rabadan said on Tuesday.

However, the city clarified that it does not boycott the event itself, nor the Qatari government.

“This does not mean we are calling for a boycott of the event,” Rabdan added.

Since Qatar won the bid to host the World Cup in 2010, more than 6,500 migrant workers have died in the country, the Guardian previously reported.

The authors alleged that most of the workers were involved in low-paid, dangerous labor, often done in extreme heat.

The Guardian report did not definitively link all 6,500 deaths to World Cup infrastructure projects, although one expert told the British newspaper that “many of the workers who died may have been employed on these projects”.

CNN has not independently verified the Guardian’s figures.

Qatar World Cup officials dispute the Guardian’s report and put a very different estimate of the death toll, telling CNN last year that there had been only three work-related and 35 non-work-related deaths at the stadium.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *